Between 2000 and 2010, the number of international students at Ontario colleges increased by five times, while the number of international students at Ontario universities almost tripled. International students are an integral part of our college and university campuses as they make our institutions more diverse and they help contribute to the academic community similarly to all other students. International students also have a large economic impact, as they contribute $3 billion annually to the province’s economy through paying tuition fees, basic living expenses, taxes and consumer spending. Despite these significant contributions, international students are faced with various challenges when it comes to accessing post-secondary education, health care and immigration processes.
The Canadian Federation of Students launched the Fairness for International Students campaign, to achieve:
- The elimination of differential fees and the restoration of post-secondary funding for international students.
- The elimination of UHIP and C-HIP and simultaneously, the restoration of OHIP for all international students.
- Improving immigration policies to ensure international students lives in Canada are easier.
We are calling on international students to provide their personal experiences. We hope personal testimonials will help shed a light on your plight in light of your skyrocketing tuition fees.
One participant will be randomly selected to win a $50 gift card to the bookstore A Different Booklist!
In order to be eligible for the draw you must:
- be a CESAR member in September 2020
- be an international student
- provide an accurate first name, last name, and e-mail address