Legal Aid Clinic
CESAX is pleased to offer free legal services to its members through our in-house lawyer, Bill Reid. Our legal clinic exists as a way to support students who might not have access to resources or knowledge of the legal system.
NOTE: Starting September 1, 2021, students accessing the CESAX and XGSU legal aid service will need to be current members of the respective students’ union. CESAX will continue to serve all continuing education and part-time degree students, as well as full-time degree students currently enrolled in a continuing education course. The XGSU will serve all full-time and part-time graduate students. We are currently finalizing a process to verify membership with the primary goal to protect confidentiality and keep processes as simple and accessible as possible.
For full-time undergraduate degree students, the RSU has indicated that they plan to relaunch a legal aid service by the end of September.
Our Legal Aid Clinic Lawyer: William Reid
Bill Reid holds both a law degree and an MBA. He has been practicing law for over 30 years, and counseling students for over 25 at Ryerson and other schools. In addition to the services mentioned above, he is also available to explain legal procedures and documents to students who may be represented by another lawyer.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment.
Legal Aid Clinic Services
- Most legal issues
- Landlord & tenant conflicts
- Family law
- Employment law
- Criminal law
- Debt issues
- Accident claims
- Immigration and other government matters
- Corporate, commercial and intellectual property issues
- Advice on legal documents or proceedings
- Notarization or commission documents when appropriate
- And more…
What to Bring
- Please bring a One Card or some type of identification for the meeting .
- Appointments are only for legal advice and assistance. Our lawyer will not be able to attend court with a student.
- For appointments regarding common-law/spousal affidavits, please ensure you bring your partner (and ID) to the appointment.
- If you are getting a document notarized, please ensure you bring the original document, not just a photocopy.
Watch Past Legal Aid Workshops:
CESAX members can access the in-house CESAX lawyer, Bill Reid, for free for a number of services.
An affidavit is a document that contains information you believe to be true and becomes legal when you sign it in the presence of a legal authority known as a notary or a commissioner of oaths.
Letter of Invitation
Bill can also assist you with completing your letter of invitation should you be inviting family members to visit you while you study or for your graduation. To ensure you have all the information you need for your appointment, CLICK HERE.
A notary is a person qualified to take oaths or to certify that photocopies are true copies of original documents.
Take advantage of CESAX’s free Legal Service available to members. Book an appointment for legal advice by emailing email@example.com.